Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Nomi No Sukine

I drew a rough sketch of Nomi No Sukine at first.

Nomi no Sukune (野見 宿禰?) was a Japanese legendary sumo wrestler during Emperor Suinin era. He kicked and killed his opponent Taima no Kehaya (当麻蹴速?) under the Emperor's instruction. It wasn't modern sumo, but he is regarded as the human creator of sumo. He was an ancestor of Sugawara no Michizane.
The hardest part was to keep him in balance. I was too amateur to construct an armature then and he fell flat on his face. :)

His pose is an aesthetic and stable one. I used the spaces under his arms and legs as visual volumes and with the help of arcs I could create the desire of sliding his/her eyes on the work.The position of the head creates a curiosity for the viewer to turn around and see the work from each side.

No comments:

Post a Comment